Friday, March 04, 2005

 

a story by rosie - 'the cool cat'


Hi. Today I am going to be a proud momma, and post a story my not-quite seven-year-old daughter wrote. Two of the older kids were writing stories as school assignments, but Rosie just wrote hers because she wanted to.

I typed it up for her. She had used no quotation marks. Possibly, being in first grade, she hasn't learned to use them yet. Wanting to keep the story as much like she wrote it down as possible, I chose to use paragraph breaks (she had written it as a single paragraph) instead of quotation marks to make the dialog easier to follow. I only fixed her spelling and punctuation, and broke up some run-on sentences. Just had to make two actual edits: once, where she had changed from 1st person to 3rd person, and the other, where she had left out a verb.

In my totally biased opinion, I think her first sentence is a great 'hook.' The ending could use some work. But this is a pretty good first story.

Ok - I'll shut up now and let y'all read.

~~~

The Cool Cat

by Sheya's kid Rosie

Only my Mom believes that my cat can talk. When I pull my cat's tail, he said leave me alone and when I pick him up, then he said put me down and now we are not good friends. Mom said be friends and my brothers and sisters laughed and I tried to make them believe that it was true. And how is by talking like him but they did not believe. So I took my cat and pulled his tail but they ran off and now I do not know what to do.

My cat said can you just leave me alone?

You mean to never feed you?

NO, I MEAN FOR YOU TO STOP PICKING ME UP AND PULLING MY TAIL. And can you give me water?

Ok.

Thanks.

I smiled and looked at the cat.

What?

I'm just smiling.

I know, but why are you looking at me?

I just love you.

The cat was confused.

Why are you confused?

Because you are pulling my tail and now you said you love me.

Then my brothers and sisters came back and they said what are you doing?

I'm talking to my cat.

You're talking to your cat. That is crazy.

Maybe to you but not to me.

Come on, let's just go.

THE END

(next)

Comments:
Auugggh! Another cliff-hanger! I hope there will be sequel :-).
 
Actually, she did write a sequel, just yesterday.

Guess I'll need to post that as well.

She's her mother's daughter, eh?

:D
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?